Please write your comments below in the comments section.

Private Lessons for Gifted Homeschool Students
#1
The squeals of joy coming from my 8YO as she works with Mr Gelston online might be sufficient testimony. But there is much, much more. He is an engaged and respectful teacher. He listens to my daughter's ideas and clearly experiences the same joy she does while ensuring that she has a thorough grasp of the concepts at a deep level.

Teaching elementary math is a biggie for lots of homeschool families, especially if the parent-in-charge is not confident in math. Imagine my sadness when two years ago my daughter utterred the dreaded phrase "I hate math" - my husband and I couldn't believe it since math had never given her any trouble and we had hardly spent any time on it. How lovely it is to have her waking herself up early to log on to her 8AM class with Mr. Gelston - she even asked to be sure she could have class on her birthday. Huzzah.
The Coleman Family

#2
Math was a daily struggle for our 2E (PG/stealth dyslexic) daughter until we found Mr. Gelston. Despite working several years ahead of her age in other subjects, math understanding eluded her and the daily tears and frustration were beginning to translate into despair and self-doubt. “I hate math and I can’t do math” were becoming her mantras. Chance led us to Mr. Gelston, and he has changed our lives immeasurably for the better. Our daughter comes out of her math sessions full of excitement and enthusiasm, declaring - of all things - her love for math and the topic that they have just studied. For our sensitive, perfectionist, asynchronous daughter, he has been the perfect teacher: kind, responsive, calm and patient. He has a wonderful ability to help her navigate the bumps that, in the past, often turned into major roadblocks in her mind. In my daughter’s words, “He helps you when you don’t understand something, and he goes at the speed that you learn at. And he’s very organized.” Regarding the latter, for a top-down learner, having a road map that makes sense is critically important to learning. On a practical note, as homeschoolers, we greatly appreciate his detailed record-keeping, correlated to core standards. We are so grateful that Mr. Gelston is part of our daughter’s life.
Linda Andreassen

Home Education
I really like how if you don't understand something, Mr. G. will go over it several times until you do.  This class is fun and I am really enjoying it! I am feeling so much more confident in math now. And, I made new friends from different places!
Cheyanne P. (6th grade)

Mr. Gelston truly cares about my daughter and goes above and beyond to help her.  He has worked with her more than once outside of class and is so patient with her "quirky" behaviors.  I think we are truly blessed to be apart of this math class! -
Zabrina (Mom to Cheyanne)

MTEL Workshops
#1
" I never would have passed the math MTEL exam without Barry’s help. I was impressed with how he was able to pinpoint which areas of math I was weak in and designed a personal study plan to build my skills. I have major math anxiety and through his humor and understanding I was able to face my fears and not only pass the MTEL but actually learn math! I never dreamed I would feel confident with math and would recommend anyone to Barry. He’s the best!!"
Tara C.

#2
Mr. Gelston is truly a miracle worker. Math is extremely hard for me to understand but I understood everything that he taught me. He has such a fun approach of teaching math that anyone can comprehend. I have always struggled in math and never thought I could overcome these struggles. By following Mr. Gelston's rules and guidance, I finally get it!! Everyone can benefit from taking Mr. Gelston's class. He Rocks!! :)
Brenda B.

#3
I recommend Mr. Gelston to anyone who needs to brush up on foundational skills to pass the math MTEL. He is knowledgeable, extremely patient, accommodating, and will work with you individually to meet your specific needs. He makes understanding difficult math problems easier through a variety of methods and I truly felt like he invested in me like I did him. I finally passed my math MTEL and I am so grateful for Mr. Gelston's guidance and support! Thank you!!
Jana H

College Student
I took an 18-week math for elementary education class with Mr. Gelston at Bay Path College, which despite how dreadful we all thought a 5-hour math class on a Saturday morning would be, was very enjoyable. Mr. Gelston fostered a cooperative learning environment which greatly enriched our experience and knowledge. As education students, we didn’t just learn how to complete math computations but also the importance of the conceptual understanding of the mathematics in order to be able to differentiate our lesson plans in the future. Additionally, he was available for anyone who wanted more individual attention in preparing for the MTEL which I found to be instrumental in getting ready for the test.
Mindy C.

Private Tutoring
#1
Michele (Mom to Jill)

#2
I recommend Mr. Gelston to all of my friends who have kids who need help with Math. Not only does he know the subject really well but he has fantastic methods for making it easy and interesting for kids to learn.
Mia R

Comments

Tara
06/18/2012 3:27pm

-- Tara C., Special Education Graduate Student

Brenda B.
06/18/2012 10:24pm

Michele
06/18/2012 10:45pm

My daughter was struggling with 8th grade math and I was unable to help her. Barry was very patient with my daughter taking the time to make sure she understood the content. Her grades improved from Cs to A/Bs!! When she gained an understanding she gained confidence to work out the problems herself. Michele (Mom to Jill)

Mindy C
06/19/2012 1:40pm

Mia R
06/21/2012 2:18pm

06/24/2012 11:53am

Thank you Mia. I have met some wonderful people through you.

Jana Heffernan
06/27/2012 2:05pm

I recommend Mr. Gelston to anyone who needs to brush up on foundational skills to pass the math MTEL. He is knowledgeable, extremely patient, accommodating, and will work with you individually to meet your specific needs. He makes understand difficult math problems easier through a variety of methods and I truly felt like he invested in me like I did him. I finally passed my math MTEL and I am so grateful for Mr. Gelston's guidance and support! Thank you!!

The Coleman Family
09/13/2012 4:17pm

Linda Andreassen
09/18/2012 9:38pm

Your comment will be posted after it is approved.